The Alumni Advisory Group was established in February 2016 by the Menzies Foundation. Members are drawn from a list of alumni who express interest in a future formal role with the Menzies Alumni (formerly the Menzies Memorial Scholars Association or MMSA) or a desire to be more involved in the work of the Menzies Alumni.
The Alumni Advisory Group provides a formal structure via which representatives of the Alumni can contribute to and provide leadership on a range of Alumni and Menzies Foundation related matters.
Notifications of vacancy for the positions of Menzies Alumni Chair and Deputy Chair (formerly the MMSA President or Secretary) will be prioritised to firstly seek expressions of interest from members of the Alumni Advisory group. The positions of the Menzies Alumni Chair and Deputy Chair also hold the position of an ex-officio Menzies Foundation board member.
The objectives of the Alumni Advisory Group are to:
- provide support and guidance to the Alumni Chair and Deputy Chair on current and new initiatives,
- provide ongoing guidance on the structure and purpose of the Menzies Alumni,
- develop new ways to increase Alumni engagement, and
- serve as a conduit via which Menzies Foundation initiatives are further communicated to the alumni.
- Membership is drawn from members of the Menzies Alumni.
- The maximum membership at any one time is 12 members.
- Where possible, membership is to represent all scholarship disciplines.
- The Menzies Foundation CEO and/or Communications Manager will be present at each meeting. The Chair may request the staff not attend a meeting.
- Membership is for two years from appointment, with an option of a further two years.
The current Chair and Deputy Chair are responsible for reporting on the activities of the group to the Menzies Foundation board at each board meeting.
- Four meetings will be held per year (two face to face, two meetings via teleconference).
- Meetings will occur prior to Menzies Foundation board meetings so that a report can be prepared for the subsequent board meeting.
- Meetings will be chaired by the Menzies Alumni Chair or Deputy Chair.
- Meeting agenda will be generated by the Menzies Foundation in discussion with the Chair.
- Minutes will be taken at the meeting by the Deputy Chair, or nominated person, and subsequently sent to the Menzies Foundation for finalisation and dissemination.
- Previous Minutes and current agenda will be sent to the group one week before the next scheduled meeting.
The members of the Alumni Advisory Group are:
- Dr Adrian McCallum, 2007 Engineering Scholar (President/Chair)
- Dr Sheree Hurn, 2010 Allied Health Scholar (Vice President/Deputy Chair)
- Dr Josephine Barbaro, 2006 Allied Health Scholar (immediate past President)
- Assoc Professor Anne-Marie Hill, 2008 Allied Health Scholar
- Oren Bigos, 2002 Law Scholar
- David Bowly, 2014 Engineering Scholar
- Justice Roger Derrington, 1987 Law Scholar
- Albert Dinelli, 2003 Law Scholar
- Dr Nick Huntington, 2006 NHMRC Scholar
- Kate Peterson, 2007 Law Scholar
- Dr Tina Souvlis, 1998 Allied Health Scholar – (resigned October 2017)
The Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
Last reviewed: October 2017