27 November 2014:
The Governor of Victoria, His Excellency the Hon Alex Chernov AC QC will present the 2015 Menzies Scholarships at a reception this Thursday evening.
Awarded since the early 1980s for post graduate study in the areas of allied health, engineering, law and medicine, the annual scholarships enable exceptional individuals to further their studies at the world's best universities. Many past recipients have risen to the highest levels of their profession as judges, professors, engineers and researchers.
"This ceremony recognises those young Australians who may well be our future leaders," said Menzies Foundation chief executive Sarah Hardy. "They have extraordinary talent in their chosen fields and have already made significant public service contributions."
Among the recipients of the 2015 Menzies scholarships are:
- Anna Gould, to undertake her Masters in Bioscience Enterprise at the University of Cambridge
- Patrick Wall, whose Masters in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights will be at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights
- Quan Lau, to embark on a Masters in Engineering for Sustainable Development at the University of Cambridge
- Sharon Oberstein, to complete her PhD research project: Strategies to facilitate driving in individuals with central vision loss at the University of New South Wales
- Andrew Currie, to continue his law studies with a three-year doctorate at the University of Oxford
The reception will take place from 5.30pm at The Menzies Foundation in East Melbourne.
The Menzies Foundation was established in 1979 as a non-political, not-for-profit organisation to perpetuate the ideals of Sir Robert Menzies, Australia's longest-serving Prime Minister.
*In a separate event on the same day, former Prime Minister John Howard will meet with Menzies scholarship alumni for lunch and to discuss his book The Menzies Era.
For more information, interviews or photo opportunities please contact:
Sarah Hardy, CEO
Ph: 03 9419 5699
Mobile: 0488 272 724